OHTP Fall 2016: Father Bray, 2016-08-22 - 2017-01-06
Scope and Contents
Oral History: Theory and Practice course Fall 2016 topic Father Kenneth A. Bray, former 'Iolani School athletic director, coach, and Board of Governors member.
'Iolani tenure: SY 1931/32 - 1951/52.
Father Kenneth A. Bray was a coach and director of athletics at ῾Iolani School from 1932 to 1952. He was born in England on May 26, 1879 and died in Hawai'i on January 9, 1953. A World War I veteran as a member of the American Expeditionary Forces, Bray also lent his clerical services locally during World War II. He greatly expanded the athletics program at 'Iolani School. Under his direction the school won six IHL championships: Football- 1939, 1940, 1950; Basketball-1951; Baseball-1950, 1951. He is credited with instilling the "One Team" ethos of the school. In addition, Bray served on the Board of Governors beginning with the school's incorporation in 1942. He was honored as a Contributor by the Hawaii Sports Hall of Fame in 1999.
- 2016-08-22 - 2017-01-06
Oral History Disclaimer
Opinions expressed during interviews are not the opinions of ’Iolani School and may contain viewpoints and/or manners of speech which are no longer deemed appropriate in today's society. Such elements are included in an effort to preserve the history and context of the subject matter.
'Iolani Login Required for Digital Objects
To view digital content: access via 'Iolani School issued iPad, or via computer by
1- log onto 'Iolani School email account, then
2- open item record in additional tab of the same browser.
From the Record Group: TBD Linear Feet
From the Record Group: TBD Megabytes
Language of Materials
Student created content during August 2016 - January 2017, overseen by instructor Dr. Melissa Perkins, transferred to archives via Google Drive shared folder.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Oral History: Theory and Practice course, Fall 2016.
- Bray, Kenneth A., Rev., 1879 - 1952 (t. 1932 - 1952)
- Interviews Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oral history Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Kaho'ohanohano, Frank (Frank Kenneth) (class of 1951) (Interviewee, Person)
- Lau, Tommy (Thomas Allan) (class of 1949) (Interviewee, Person)
- Lopes, Merv (Mervin Lionel Aloha) (class of 1951) (Interviewee, Person)
- Nobuhara, Walter (Shinji Walter) (class of 1951) (Interviewee, Person)
- Takane, Harry (Harry Mineo) (class of 1950) (Interviewee, Person)