Father Bray Collection
Scope and Contents
The collection contains material from a variety of donors through time for which there is little to no documentation. It contains material about, and created by Father Bray, as well as books and artifacts. The collection includes correspondence, artifacts, photographs, books, pamphlets, articles and audiovisual materials.
- 1904 - 2003
Language of Materials
Collection is in English.
The ’Iolani School Archives contains materials, information, videos, images, etc., that may be considered sensitive or offensive according to today's standards. These items are indicative of societal attitudes at particular points in time. Such materials are retained and preserved in an effort to adequately represent the historical record.
Conditions Governing Access
The Archivist reserves the right to restrict use fragile materials which are exceptionally fragile. Duplicates such as photocopies, typescripts, or digital surrogates may be supplied in place of original materials.
Biographical / Historical
Father Kenneth A. Bray was a coach and director of athletics at ῾Iolani School from 1932 to 1952. He was born in England on May 26, 1879 and died in Hawai'i on January 9, 1953. A World War I veteran as a member of the American Expeditionary Forces, Bray also lent his clerical services locally during World War II. He greatly expanded the athletics program at 'Iolani School. Under his direction the school won six IHL championships: Football- 1939, 1940, 1950; Basketball-1951; Baseball-1950, 1951. He is credited with instilling the "One Team" ethos of the school. In addition, Bray served on the Board of Governors beginning with the school's incorporation in 1942. He was honored as a Contributor by the Hawaii Sports Hall of Fame in 1999. 'Iolani tenure: SY 1931/32 - 1951/52.
16.73 Linear Feet (13 containers)
Provenance information varies greatly. The materials in this collection were donated by various people, including alumni. Many of the items were collected by the Upper School Library for a collection known as "Iolaniana" which existed prior to the establishment of the 'Iolani School Archives. See Scope and Content Note, and box lists for any details.
One box list and a list of books were created by previous archives staff, as well as, a brief draft for a finding aid. Additional arrangement and description leading to this finding aid and inventory created by Archives Assistant, Valancy Rasmussen, August 2017. The Documents series entitled Iolaniana has been left as it was, for the most part. The reasoning for the arrangement of these folders is unclear so it was decided that the order should remain as it was given to the archives by the library staff. Provenance for some material is unclear or not known.
- Bray, Kenneth A., Rev., 1879 - 1952 (t. 1932 - 1952)
- Coaches (Athletics) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Episcopal Church Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Episcopal Church -- Clergy Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Teachers Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Father Bray Collection
- A guide to the collection in the 'Iolani School Archives.
- Valancy Rasmussen, Archives Assistant
- August 2017
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- 2019: Original inventory and description completed using Microsoft Excel. Manually transcribed into 'Iolani School's instance of ArchivesSpace in 2019.
- Carton: Bray 1 (Text)
- Box: Bray 2 (Graphic Materials)
- Box: Bray 3 (Graphic Materials)
- Container: Bray 4 (Graphic Materials)
- Box: Bray 5 (Graphic Materials)
- Box: Bray 6 (Graphic Materials)
- Box: Bray 7 (Realia)
- Box: Bray 8 (Realia)
- Box: Bray 9 (Realia)
- Box: Bray 10 (Books)
- Box: Bray 11 (Mixed Materials)
- Box: Bray 12 (Mixed Materials)
- Object: Plaque (Realia)