Scope and Contents
Refers to the inactive working papers of 'Iolani School faculty member Harold Keables. Contains lesson topics, assignments, teaching notes, and graded student writing samples including marginalia by Mr. Keables.
For the endowed chair program featuring annual guest lecturers see RG011 Keables Chair.
- 1930s - 1980s
Biographical / Historical
Mr. Harold R. Keables taught English at ‘Iolani School from 1964 to 1980, after devoting 30 years to students in the Denver public school system. He was named Life magazine Teacher of the Year in 1960 and recipient of the Yale University Distinguished Teacher awars in 1962. He is remembered fondly and highly respected for demanding diligence from his students.
A Native of Canon City, Colorado, Mr. Keables was born on January 28, 1900 and died in 1982 at age 82.
A.B. University of Denver
Graduate coursework at: University of Denver, Union Theological Seminary, and the University of Colorado.
Honorary Doctor of Humanities, University of Colorado
Honorary Doctor of Letters, University of Denver
Other Professional Work:
Advisory Editor, Literary Cavalcade
Advisory Editor, Ginn and Company (publisher)
Member of the National Advisory Committee for the Scholastic Magazines, Scholastic Writing Awards.
The Keables Chair and Keables Scholar are endowed programs at 'Iolani School, named in his honor, bringing guest lecturers to campus.
6.25 Linear Feet (10 containers) : 3 - Storage Cartons; 2 - Card File Boxes; 1 - Document Box; 3 - Half Storage Cartons; 1 - Half Document Box
Language of Materials
Books from Keables' personal library. In 1980 Keables donated the 11 volumes to the Upper School Library collection where they remained until a reorganization in June 2018. Physically transferred to the 'Iolani School Archives in June 2018; accessioned (2022-001) November 2021.
- English Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- English language -- Grammar -- Study and teaching Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Keables, Harold, 1900 - 1982 (t. 1964 - 1980) (Creator)
- Language arts (Secondary) -- Study and teaching Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Teachers Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Keables Papers
- A guide to the collection in the 'Iolani School Archives.
- In Progress
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note